10 weeks 4 days

So because of flu season the hospital didn’t have any beds available. My doctor sent me to the ER to at least get some hydration, more on that later.

I am supposed to call the home health nursing company today to find out if they have anyone that is certified to put a PICC line in. If so I can skip the hospital and my doctor can just put in an order for them to do it. I hope that is the case.

If not, then I am supposed to call my doctor this morning and he’s going to check on the availability of beds at the hospital. He’ll have me admitted and then we just get to play the waiting game because the nurses that can put in PICC lines are not always available right away. I could be in there for days.

Yesterday a home nurse came out and after four very stressful digging pokes, she was unable to start an IV line. It seems my veins are all used up and they don’t want to participate in this mess anymore. So that is why I had to go in to see my doctor.

My doctor called over to the ER ahead of me to see what their situation was like. Luckily there was a “lull” so I got in and got a bed pretty quickly. A nurse was able to get an IV started right away and I got 1 liter of fluid and some Reglan.

I was feeling pretty good until they told me that my potassium was low. Then they made me drink this most vile substance to bring up my potassium levels. That didn’t stay down long. Since I threw it up they tried to make me take potassium pills. Those were just like the drink. They burned all the way down and all the way back out. They finally let me go home anyway and said it would be good if I could take the pills at home. I figure I’m getting a banana bag sometime today one way or another so there’s no sense torturing my stomach anymore.

They didn’t really want me in there, I could tell. That was OK with me because I didn’t really want to be in there myself. Tons of sick people that were coughing and sharing their flu germs were all around. The last thing I need is to get something like that. Actually, a few weeks ago my doctor said it could even be fatal.

I threw up several times during the night and didn’t get much sleep. I felt like my heart was racing and I was shaking the whole time.

We had several great people to thank last night. First, the church gave Stephen tonight off when he told some people what was going on. So no worries there. My best friend Megan went to our house, took care of our dogs and then brought Stephen food and sat with me for awhile. And Ruth called and I could tell it helped Stephen to talk to his big sister and calm down a bit.

I’m just so ready for all of this to be over. What a night.


Leave a comment

Filed under Pregnancy and Birth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s